[gnome-flashback] Difficulty with Ubuntu 18.04 and gnome-flashback

I have been using fnome-flashback for many years, without difficulty. With 18.04, I ave been able to install
gnome-flashback, but, after a few logins, my environment becomes unuseable. It seems to revert to a version
of gnome 3, but after I lock the screen, I can't get back in. The screen blinks 'autnentication error'
without any input. The Ubuntu desktop still works. I have tried:

1. Doing fresh installs
2. Reinstalling 16.04
3. creating a new user that requests gnome-flashback upfront (18.04)

1. Fresh installs work for awhile, but it seems after some system upgrades, flashback goes away, and I'm left
with Ubuntu or nothing
2. This is really interesting. When I re-install, but use the same home directory I used for 18.04, I get the
18.04 screen background. This makes me think that there are some settings that reside in the home directory,
and that these may be relevant to the problem with gnome-flasback
3. New user on 18.04 leads to the same seemingly incomplete environment.

I'm running on an AMD desktop with an FX-8350 cpu with 32 GB or memory.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Art Edwards

--
  Arthur H. Edwards