Re: [gnome-flashback] Future of the system tray

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:
Hi Alberts,

> From specification: "Example use cases will include: Mixer volume control,
> Battery indicator, Instant messenger on-line status, Generic application
> information and actions, like a media player controls."
>
> Does anyone knows any application that is doing anything from above using
> this specification? I would like to see how it is done.

Calibre does it (see src/calibre/gui2/dbus_export/tray.py).

It does not use pure StatusNotifierItem specification. Also it has simple menu and nothing more. There is used DBusMenu, but specification does not say anything about it.

Also any Qt 5.4 application which uses QSystemTrayIcon (i.e. the
systray example) will use SNI when run with frameworkintegration
library from KDE Frameworks. In Qt 5.5 there will be built-in
implementation, without need to use frameworkintegration.

Unfortunately I don't know any other examples...

Well I want to see how are more advanced items done with this specification. For example - volume control. We have it using old GtkStatusIcon. How I am supposed to create right click "menu" with slider and left click menu using that specification.

Is it supposed that each applications create for, example, window with that slider and places it in x and y from activate signal? Each application should add extra code to make sure such windows are fully on screen?