Re: [gnome-flashback] Indicator Applet

Hi Lanoxx,

Hello Dmitry,

I tried to build indicator-applet with jhbuild yesterday but it always fails
to link because of a missing function "ubuntu_menu_item_factory_get_type".
It seems that GTK+3 needs to be patched in order to be able to build
indicator-applet.

indicator-applet itself doesn't use that function, are you trying to
build some dependency of it maybe? (libido?)

Also, the official tarballs are terribly outdated, to build anything
from Canonical you need to use bzr snapshots.

Now I have a few questions:

 * Is gnome-flashback the only desktop that is using indicator-applet? If so
do you think if would be possible to patch indicator applet so it can work
with vanilla GTK? If that was possible maybe we could even merge it into
gnome-applets?

In Ubuntu lots of apps (and even some toolkits) are patched to use
indicators. I doubt you will be able to achieve the same effect in
other distribution.

It doesn't make sense to merge indicator-applet into gnome-applets, as
it depends on some third-party libraries anyway (so having it in a
separate source is fine).

I think that if we really want to reimplement the tray, we should use
the StatusNotifier specifications (which are less hacky, more
standardized and give us more power). But see Alberts' comments about
them on this list...

 * Have you ever build indicator-applet with jhbuild and do you know which
patches I need to apply in order to build it?

No, I don't think anyone has worked on adopting the latest versions to
be built outside Ubuntu.