Re: [gnome-flashback] GNOME Flashback

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Balló György <ballogyor gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planing on adding 'DesktopNames=GNOME-Flashback;GNOME' to session
> desktop files. This way we can add back autostart file for gnome-session and
> change ' to ' I would do it
> for all components there are no longer used by GNOME, but only us -
> gnome-flashback, gnome-flashback-init, gnome-panel, gnome-screensaver.
>
> The problem is that this is quite new standard. I know that GDM 3.14 has
> support for this. Also lightdm has this, but there is bug (I already made
> fix and I am waiting for review). I don't know anything about other display
> managers. If DM does not support DesktopNames gnome-session will set
> XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP to GNOME. That means our components will not load/start.
>
> Looks like session-dependent settings will use this new standard. At least
> commit message says so -
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=add67b516cb6cbd9b36454d880dd2d7156eced19
>
> Should I do it now (for 3.14) or leave for 3.16?

(So this was the reason why I can't start GNOME Classic from
LightDM... Thanks for the fix.)

At least wait for the next LightDM release. It looks like DesktopNames
is supported by GDM, KDM, LightDM and SDDM, but not supported by LXDM
yet.

I probably won't wait. In notification daemon I will move desktop file to autostart and I will add ShowOnlyIn=GNOME-Flashback. I don't want add it to required components. Also I probably will use GNOME release number for next release - 3.14.

I think I could do following:
1) Make gnome-flashback 3.14.0 release.
2) Make gnome-panel 3.14.0 release.
3) Make gnome-applets 3.14.0 release.
4) Make notification-daemon 3.14.0 release.

So now we will have all modules released for GNOME 3.14. Then I will do clean rebuild in jhbuild and start working on 3.16.