Re: [gnome-flashback] Metacity 3.14.0

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 5:09 AM, Balló György <ballogyor gmail com> wrote:
> You fixed it, thanks! You are very good at fixing bugs. :)

Thanks from me as well. Alberts, are you going to do a new release?

Yes, I was waiting confirmation that this bug is really fixed.

> I attached a patch that adds minimize and maximize buttons back by
> default. It works only with the traditional windows, not with the
> client-side decorations, because GTK+ reads the old location
> explicitly, and we can't overwrite it. For GNOME Classic, they decided
> to explicitly check the session name as a temporary solution:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=add67b516cb6cbd9b36454d880dd2d7156eced19

I am against this as it makes things inconsistent.

For example, in Ubuntu we have a package ubuntu-settings that ships a
GSettings override that sets the layout to close,minimize,maximize: —
and that works fine with the Flashback session. Users of Ubuntu GNOME
remix have another -settings package that sets it to
minimize,maximize,close: — and if they start Metacity, it uses these
settings as well.

If the schema is moved, it would mean that users will need to figure
out why their settings no longer work after upgrade. And I will have
to add a new -settings package in Ubuntu or patch all existing ones
that set the layout.

If you really want to do this, can you use the same schema as the
GNOME Classic mode does? This way it will work with CSDs as well:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/xsettings/gsd-xsettings-manager.c#n343

(That will also mean you will need to change $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP from
GNOME to GNOME-Classic in your distro packages, but I don't think it's
a problem).

I am not going to use this patch. Also I am not going to use schema that is installed with gnome-shell-extenstions. I don't want to use patch because it does not solve problem fully. Also I don't want to duplicate setting that already exist.

Does anyone knows if someone has started work on session-dependent defaults to GSettings?

If this will not be available for 3.16 then we could make first-run / welcome window in gnome-flashback module. Where we could ask user if he wants back all buttons. Ask for layout he prefers and then update org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides and org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout. This way it should work nice for both sessions - metacity and compiz.