Re: [gnome-flashback] Issues starting GNOME Flashback 3.16 jhbuild sessions

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Alberts Muktupāvels
<alberts muktupavels gmail com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 gmail com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Alberts Muktupāvels
>> <alberts muktupavels gmail com> wrote:

>> > :)

>> > Did you try add back ShowOnlyIn? It did not start because metacity was
>> > crashing...
>>
>> I've attached the log output from when I added it back.
>

> Well problem found! You need to add DesktopNames to your custom desktop
> files for starting jhbuild session.
>
> In your gnome-flashback-[metacity/compiz]-jhbuild.desktop (xsession file
> )add this:
> DesktopNames=GNOME-Flashback;GNOME
>
> Please update wiki and add message that DesktopNames line is important!

I verified this and updated the wiki.

Please add trailing semicolon to DesktopNames.

>> This is embarassing. Compiz was not installed. I just installed it
>> from Fedora and yet I still get the fail whale. I only installed the
>> package "compiz". Perhaps I need to install another Compiz Fedora 21
>> package?
>> http://pkgs.org/search/compiz
>

> If session is installed in normal way not jhbuild then this session would
> not show as real session file has TryExec=compiz, but in jhbuild we check
> only if our custom script exist.
>

>> I've attached the log output.
>>
>> "yum info compiz":
>> Version     : 0.8.8
>> Release     : 28.fc21
>

> This is problem as well. gtk-window-decorator depends on metacity. old
> compiz will not work with metacity 3.12.0 or any newer versions.
>
> I ported gwd to GTK+ 3 and to new metacity so last official release
> (https://launchpad.net/compiz) 0.9.12.0 should work with metacity 3.12.0,
> but it is broken again with metacity 3.14.0.
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~albertsmuktupavels/compiz/support-libmetacity-private-3-14/+merge/237837
> This is needed to get compiz work with metacity 3.14.0
>

>> > Try to run compiz --replace from metacity session to see if compiz
>> > works.
>>
>> That seems to work. However, of the 2 apps I tried (gnome-terminal and
>> files), gnome-terminal is missing its title bar. Maybe all window
>> decorations are missing?
>

> Because gtk-window-decorator crashed or even was not started.
>

>> Before:
>> http://imgur.com/9gldSDj,lphDKP0,BfQ4oSD#1
>> After:
>> http://imgur.com/9gldSDj,lphDKP0,BfQ4oSD#0
>> I can move the nautilus window, but not the terminal window:
>> http://imgur.com/9gldSDj,lphDKP0,BfQ4oSD#2
>>
>> When I open up a drop-down menu, I can see it fading in. So it looks
>> like compiz is doing its effects.
>

> Compiz need decorator that will draw window decorations.
>

>> -Mike
>>
>> [...]
> --
> Alberts Muktupāvels
> [...]

Here is how I would like to proceed:
1. Test/write the JHBuild instructions for GNOME 3.14.x and GNOME
Flashback 3.14.0.

There is no easy way to do this. gnome-world points to newest versions... Commit:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/commit/?id=d55ce7c0ce275c14b4dbcb149100a20580036637

And I don't plan to do anything about this. JHBuild is nice to test newest version that are still in development. Stable releases should be available in distributions.

If someone will want make possible to use jhbuild to build older versions than:
1) create new moduleset file from gnome-world. For example gnome-flashback.modules
2) Update all modules to build for example 3.14 releases.
3) Find place where to host this file.
4) Then it should be possilbe to:
jhbuild -m {link to module file} build

I wanted to make moduleset for only compiz, but I ended with problem that compiz does not support building out of source tree or something like that.

2. Package GNOME Flashback with only the Metacity session for Fedora
and EPEL. (I've never packaged something for Fedora before, but I want
to learn.)

Can not help with this.

3. After #1 and #2 are complete, focus on Compiz.

I think Arch Linux has working compiz session. So it is possible to get working compiz session.

-Mike