Re: [gnome-flashback] Issues starting GNOME Flashback 3.16 jhbuild sessions

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Alberts Muktupāvels
<alberts muktupavels gmail com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 gmail com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 gmail com>
>> wrote:

>> > Via jhbuild. I assume that these failed modules are not a problem
>> > unless you need epiphany.
>> >
>> > *** the following modules were not built *** [177/177]
>> > WebKit epiphany meta-gnome-core-utilities meta-gnome-core
>> >
>> > Anyway, we're making more progress!
>> >
>> > After I installed this package:
>> > gnome-icon-theme-legacy-3.12.0-2.fc21.noarch
>> >
>> > I then got this as my flashback metacity session:
>> > http://imgur.com/gmt2wwt
>> >
>> > The bottom panel seems to respond to mouse clicks. For example, I can
>> > left-click or right-click on the workspace switcher, and it behaves as
>> > it should.
>> >
>> > I then installed these packages, but they did not seem to help.
>> >
>> > gnome-icon-theme-extras-3.12.0-2.fc21.noarch
>> > gnome-icon-theme-symbolic-3.12.0-2.fc21.noarch
>> >
>> > I've attached my user log after installing all 3 packages.
>> >
>> > And I've updated the WIP wiki page about gnome-icon-theme-legacy.
>> > https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback/JHBuild/3.16
>> >
>> > -Mike
>>
>> Hurray! I fixed it by running this command to reset the gnome-panel
>> settings:
>>
>> jhbuild run dconf reset -f /org/gnome/gnome-panel/
>>
>> This is what a metacity session looks like now:
>> http://imgur.com/WPctaoQ,YOPM467#1
>> http://imgur.com/WPctaoQ,YOPM467#0
>

> :)
>
>> From a development perspective, I guess the next step is to find out
>> why XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP is being set to GNOME.
>

> Did you try add back ShowOnlyIn? It did not start because metacity was
> crashing...

I've attached the log output from when I added it back.

Well problem found! You need to add DesktopNames to your custom desktop files for starting jhbuild session.

In your gnome-flashback-[metacity/compiz]-jhbuild.desktop (xsession file )add this:
DesktopNames=GNOME-Flashback;GNOME

Please update wiki and add message that DesktopNames line is important!

>> Also, the compiz session still results in the fail whale. I'll send
>> another reply about that.

This is embarassing. Compiz was not installed. I just installed it
from Fedora and yet I still get the fail whale. I only installed the
package "compiz". Perhaps I need to install another Compiz Fedora 21
package?
http://pkgs.org/search/compiz

If session is installed in normal way not jhbuild then this session would not show as real session file has TryExec=compiz, but in jhbuild we check only if our custom script exist.

I've attached the log output.

"yum info compiz":
Version     : 0.8.8
Release     : 28.fc21

This is problem as well. gtk-window-decorator depends on metacity. old compiz will not work with metacity 3.12.0 or any newer versions.

I ported gwd to GTK+ 3 and to new metacity so last official release (https://launchpad.net/compiz) 0.9.12.0 should work with metacity 3.12.0, but it is broken again with metacity 3.14.0.

https://code.launchpad.net/~albertsmuktupavels/compiz/support-libmetacity-private-3-14/+merge/237837
This is needed to get compiz work with metacity 3.14.0

> Try to run compiz --replace from metacity session to see if compiz works.

That seems to work. However, of the 2 apps I tried (gnome-terminal and
files), gnome-terminal is missing its title bar. Maybe all window
decorations are missing?

Because gtk-window-decorator crashed or even was not started.

Before:
http://imgur.com/9gldSDj,lphDKP0,BfQ4oSD#1
After:
http://imgur.com/9gldSDj,lphDKP0,BfQ4oSD#0
I can move the nautilus window, but not the terminal window:
http://imgur.com/9gldSDj,lphDKP0,BfQ4oSD#2

When I open up a drop-down menu, I can see it fading in. So it looks
like compiz is doing its effects.

Compiz need decorator that will draw window decorations.

-Mike

[...]