[gnome-flashback] Fwd: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 (solved)

Hi everyone,

thanks to Alberts help yesterday, the problems I described in yesterdays
Mail is mostly solved. So I want to shared some details about my current
setup.

 * I am now using Alberts metacity port to GTK+3 compileld from his
github repository. It works very nice, and so far I have not seen any
problems. As I am on Ubuntu 13.10 I had to change the GTK+3 minimum
requirement to 3.8 in configure.ac, but that was it.

 * Alberts shared an applications-menu file with me, that solved the
"Sundry" issue. But the huge "Other" section is still there.
   I also had to add a 'Category=Developer' key to all of the desktop
files that I previously created with metacity or the would all show up
in 'Other' instead of the 'Programming' section.

 * I am using gnome-panel master from git.gnome.org
 * I am using my window-picker-applet from my github repository

The reason the applets where crashing, is that I was not using the
system theme, but instead I had changed the background to blue. As soon
as I changed the panel background back to default (System Theme) all
applets were working again. @Dimitry, maybe we should disable the
background option in 13.10 as it is clearly broken. Or at least put up a
notice somewhere.

 * Back in september I wrote about a bug that causes the menus of
indicator applet to become very small:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-flashback-list/2013-September/msg00071.html
  It seems this bug only surfaces, when the panel is located at the
bottom, but not when at the top of the screen. Alberts suggested that
the problem might be in libpanel-applet/panel-applets.c:1226 in the
function panel_applet_position_menu, but so far I was unable to put a
breakpoint into that method or even get it to output anything with
printf. Either I am doing something wrong, or that method is not being
called at all. I have tried to attach the debugger both to gnome-panel
and to the indicator-applet binary itself. Does anyone have a suggestion
on how I can debug this?

Kind Regards
Sebastian