[gnome-flashback] Gnome Panel and Gnome Applets

Hi everyone,

(sorry for the long mail)

Regarding the licencing issues of Gnome Panel and Gnome Applets I have contacted Vincent Untz, below is his reply and what I answered to that.

While reviewing the code licenses I noticed that the wncklet applet is GPL but it has one header file which is LGPL. That looks to me like a mistake. Besides that the licenses are not consistent per folder!

    applets/clock/:
        all .c and .h files entirely GPL

    applets/fish/:
        fish.c - GPL
        fish-resources.[ch] - No license header!

    applets/notification_area/:
        fixedtip.[ch] - GPL
        na-tray.c - GPL
        main.[ch] - GPL
        all other files - LGPL!

    applets/wncklet/:
        wncklet.c - GPL
        wncklet.h - LGPL <-- Error?
        window-list.[ch] - No license header!
        workspace-switcher.[ch] - No license header!

In the gnome-panel subfolder there is a mix of source files which are licensed both under LGPL and GPL. libpanel-applet is pure LGPL. Originally I thought that in the COPYING files we can list for each folder (applets/ gnome-panel/ and libpanel-applet) which license applies to that folder, but given that inside these folders the licenses are also so heterogenous I think its best to just point to the comment in the source file. Im not sure how to deal with files that have no license header?

Philipp what are your thoughts on this?

>> On 01/06/14 08:48, Vincent Untz wrote:
You should check the headers of each file, but as far as I remember,
only libpanel-applet is LGPL. Everything else is GPL (I just
double-checked with headers of some applets files, and they're indeed
GPL).

Note that I'm very surprised that gnome-applets is LGPL and not GPL. For
instance, https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-applets/tree/geyes/geyes.c
is clearly GPL. Same for gweather applet.

Yes, I was also quite surprised. I just checked most of the files, and
gnome-applets/accessx-status and gnome-applets/mixer are LGPL, while
gnome-applets/battstat and all the other applets are GPL.

Also, if you look at
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-applets/commit/COPYING?id=1ee9bd740898d3b7438e4e8bb06318cb823af6d5

(which is the commit adding the license file for gnome-applets), the
commit message clearly mentions GPL and not LGPL. So I assume that the
wrong file got added.

Thanks for the link. Yes, I agree that probably the wrong file was
added. But given that two applets are indeed LGPL it seems that actually
both files would be needed.

It's best to change things so that:
  - COPYING explains the license of each subcomponents with
    human-readable text ("foo is GPL")
  - COPYING.GPL, COPYING.LGPL, etc. are created with the content of each
    license

Yes, thats a good idea. We will do that.

Cheers,

Vincent

Thank you very much.
Sebastian