Re: [gnome-flashback] The LTSP patch

Hi,

first of all I'd like to thank you all for maintaining gnome-flashback, we're using it in 500+ schools here in Greece with Ubuntu 12.04, and we're planning on using it in 14.04 too, if some regressions that we spotted are resolved until its release in April.

I wanted to reply to this mail (I'm one of the LTSP developers), but I've just signed up on this list so I'm missing the appropriate mail headers:

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/saucy/gnome-panel/saucy/view/head:/debian/patches/85_disable_shutdown_on_ltsp.patch
> The patch looks like it's not Ubuntu-specific at all, so I would like
> to either drop it or get it applied upstream.

Ubuntu isn't using it at all by default, as it's using indicator-applet-complete with the Session menu, instead of gnome-panel's user menu.

The Session menu in Ubuntu also has some issues with remote sessions (LTSP, NX, x2go...). Please see my comment #11 there:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-session/+bug/474392

So a good solution would be to make the menus policykit-aware, not to depend on environment variables like "LTSP_CLIENT". Furthermore, LTSP *fat* clients also have LTSP_CLIENT defined, yet they're able to shut down just fine, so hiding the shutdown menu with that patch is even harmful there.

In other words, please drop the patch, it's not used and it's not a good way to solve the issue.

Cheers,
Alkis Georgopoulos