Re: [gnome-flashback] Regressions from previous gnome-panel releases

Στις 21/02/2014 12:52 μμ, ο/η Philipp Kaluza έγραψε:
Just as an aside, I tried to follow this thread, but it seems mostly
ubuntu-specific. Is there anything in here we need to look at from an
upstream perspective ?

Hi Philipp,
in my initial mail, I separated the upstream issues (#1-#5) from the Ubuntu-specific ones (#6-#10):
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-flashback-list/2014-January/msg00001.html

In the meantime, #3 was solved, and I think that Dmitry mentioned that #6 should be solved upstream.

So, here are the issues that I think are unresolved and are upstream ones:

1) The Applications menu is now a mess. Applications that were previously in the Accessories menu now appear in Accessories, Utilities, Sundry and Other. The System Settings submenu was moved under Applications instead of System Tools. Etc etc, the changes don't make much sense except maybe only for gnome-shell. Is it possible to somehow ship/use the previous version of /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu ?

2) The panel needs more than a minute to load (LP: #1256961).
I provide a crude workaround in comment #8 there.
I saw it was also mentioned in the mailing list here.

4) When I try to move applets, they get stuck in the top left side.
I think this patch by Albert addresses that:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/commit/?id=d7d0efa55a26cce3f62b05610b80b37cfd61a8a3

5) The panel sometimes only gets half-loaded in LTSP clients (LP: #1078679)

6) The indicator-keyboard applet doesn't respond to switching layouts (LP: #1260226). (The upstream issue here is that I think Dmitry said that gnome-panel needs a new keyboard layout applet)

Just for completeness, here are the unresolved Ubuntu-specific ones:

7) nm-applet, the pidgin applet etc don't appear at all in indicator-applet-complete.

8) Indicator-session assumes there's only one active user: https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-session/+bug/1263438

9) indicator-session menus are not policykit aware: https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-session/+bug/474392

10) Having the real user names on the panel was very nice in the last versions, so com.canonical.indicator.session show-real-name-on-panel should be true by default... And when it's true, the "gear" icon should be in the right side of the name like it used to be... :)