Re: [gnome-flashback] Building Flashback with jhbuild

Hey Lanoxx

On 01/08/2013 09:00, Lanoxx wrote:
I was trying to build flashback yesterday with jhbuild, but I ran into a
few problems. If anyone has experience with building the flashback
components please let me know.

Thanks for your continued efforts on this!

1. I set the moduleset to 'gnome-world-3.10'
2. I checked out the latest version of jhbuild from git, followed by
./autogen.sh, make, make install
3. I ran sanitycheck and bootstrap which printed no errors
4. I ran jhbuild build meta-gnome-flashback, which told me the following:

Required packages:
   System installed packages which are too old:
     libcanberra (libcanberra.pc, required=0.30, installed=0.29)
   No matching system package installed:
     python2-devel (python2.pc, required=2.5)
     libicu (icu-i18n.pc, required=4)
jhbuild build: Required system dependencies not installed. Install using
the command 'jhbuild sysdeps --install' or to ignore system dependencies
use command-line option --nodeps

I verified that python2.pc is actually available and python2.7 is
installed.

I don't know jhbuild, but doesn't "required=2.5" perhaps explicitly mean 2.5 and not "2.5 and greater"?

If I use the --nodeps option, then jhbuild fails when building cairo.
What confuses me is that the source code for the gnome-panel and
metacity has not changed significantly in the recent month, and I am
running Ubuntu 12.10 which is fairly recent, so why do I need newer
versions of the packages above? Also why is jhbuild trying to build over
50 packages for the meta-gnome-flashback module?

I would really like to help testing flashback and maybe helpout with
patches but so far, each time I tried to build it, jhbuild gave me a
hard time.

I'll spend some time over this over the weekend too. Will be nice to have an actual release some time. I generally work on Debian unstable (which might even be more tricky than on Ubuntu 12.10 because everything is going to be newer), but since the idea is to potentially get it in for one last Debian / Ubuntu LTS release, it will be a good idea to work towards the future there.

I noticed that the Ubuntu packages are called -flashback already. Will check if it's just renamed or actually using current code.

Maybe we should have some online hackfest time to get some issues sorted out.

thanks again!

-Jonathan