Re: Discourse for GNOME docs

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 16:38:14 -0400
Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

On Sun, 2019-03-10 at 19:44 +0100, Petr Kovar wrote:
On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 17:25:38 -0500
Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:

Hi all,

We have a Discourse server for GNOME now:

https://discourse.gnome.org/

There's been some conversation about moving development
conversations
there. I honestly don't know how that will pan out, but it's
something
we ought to think about for docs conversations.

One of the advantages over mailing lists is that we can have tags
that
people apply to threads, and you can watch those tags. So if you're
interested in docs (and if we had a docs tag), you could follow
that
tag, and you'd see docs threads even in categories you don't
otherwise
follow.

How do we request a docs tag? Asking in one of the Discourse threads,
maybe?
This could be an interesting alternative to getting mode feedback on
GNOME
docs, since the docs feedback ML linked from help.g.o doesn't quite
work,

It appears a tag has appeared:

https://discourse.gnome.org/tags/documentation

though I also think deprecating MLs in favor of Discourse for project
discussion would be a bit preliminary.

I think I agree for now. I can't really predict how Discourse is going
to shake out for GNOME in the long run. Right now, we should try to be
engaged in it, watch the documentation tag, add the documentation tag
if we run across untagged docs discussions, etc. But dropping the
mailing list right now is premature.

Right, premature it is. On the topic of migrations, I'd prefer to either
stay with mailing lists, or migrate all of them instead of potentially
fragmenting project forums. For docs, I think it is especially useful to
use the same forum as the Translation Project, so I wouldn't migrate
without them migrating too.

Cheers,
pk