Re: Change .page, see result

On 5 December 2017 at 10:09, Hannie Dumoleyn
<lafeber-dumoleyn2 zonnet nl> wrote:
Op 04-12-17 om 19:34 schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

On 2017-12-04 17:59, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:

I do not know where the help files which I get when I press F1
reside, and I do not want to mess them up. That is why I stored a
copy of gs-use-system-search.page in a separate directory. I can
experiment with it, without messing up the branch I downloaded.

Messing with the files you downloaded is exactly what you are supposed to
do. yelp can't read a file which isn't located together with the other files
(at least index.page must be present in the same directory).

Hello Gunnar,

This is the right answer :) Thanks. I already thought it was not possible to
copy a .page file to another directory and then see the result of the
changes I made using yelp myname.page in the terminal. I wanted to use this
method to be able to experiment with text, tags, code etc. without ruining
the branch I downloaded.

What I can do is this: experiment with .page files from the local branch,
look at the results, and if something is wrong I can delete the branch on my
local machine and download the branch again from git.

What will happen if I commit/push the branch with the changed .page files I
am happy with. Will they be added to gnome-user-docs (patches?). So far, I
have only pushed the branch with changes to the nl.po file.

That is what will happen.

As this would be your first docs contribution, it would be better if
you could push a branch for review or attach a patch to Bugzilla.

Generally, after seeing a few good patches and when I'm sure that
you're not breaking the build, I am likely to suggest that you start
pushing minor fixes straight to master.

@Andre: thanks for the tip (Ctrl L)

@Jim: your information is helpful too. At this moment I am experimenting
with .page files from gnome-user-docs and gnome-getting-started, but I may
also want to work on documentation of applications like gedit.

Hannie