Re: Change .page, see result

Op 04-12-17 om 19:34 schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:
On 2017-12-04 17:59, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
I do not know where the help files which I get when I press F1
reside, and I do not want to mess them up. That is why I stored a
copy of gs-use-system-search.page in a separate directory. I can
experiment with it, without messing up the branch I downloaded.

Messing with the files you downloaded is exactly what you are supposed to do. yelp can't read a file which isn't located together with the other files (at least index.page must be present in the same directory).

Hello Gunnar,

This is the right answer :) Thanks. I already thought it was not possible to copy a .page file to another directory and then see the result of the changes I made using yelp myname.page in the terminal. I wanted to use this method to be able to experiment with text, tags, code etc. without ruining the branch I downloaded.

What I can do is this: experiment with .page files from the local branch, look at the results, and if something is wrong I can delete the branch on my local machine and download the branch again from git.

What will happen if I commit/push the branch with the changed .page files I am happy with. Will they be added to gnome-user-docs (patches?). So far, I have only pushed the branch with changes to the nl.po file.

@Andre: thanks for the tip (Ctrl L)

@Jim: your information is helpful too. At this moment I am experimenting with .page files from gnome-user-docs and gnome-getting-started, but I may also want to work on documentation of applications like gedit.

Hannie