Re: Translations inside of SVG files

Hi!

systemLanguage ("en" or "cs") is picked up (at least in Firefox 26
using Gecko) according to the prefered language setting in the
browser, and also when setting "LANG=cs_CZ.utf8" for Yelp 3.10 using
WebKit, so it works for me(TM).

Now translators could use a text editor and edit the SVG file to
translate such images, instead of having to use an image
manipulation application like GIMP.

However, for translators' convenience the string should end up in
the .po file, so something (gettext? yelp-tools? itstools? As usual
I am lost.) would need to parse SVG files in /po/figures for a
"switch -> text systemLanguage" element/parameter in the DOM tree.

Is that somehow possible (which implies: could somebody code this,
if it does create performance issues), or is this a bad idea?

Actually we already have some translated SVGs in the current Getting
Started documentation. It doesn't use the systemLanguage attribute,
they're "just" considered as XML files and itstool does the job of
extracting strings to a po file, and merging them back, creating one
SVG file per language.

An example is here: https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/3.10/gs-goa3.svg.es

It's not perfect as it duplicates the files, and it currently requires
the SVG files to be declared in HELP_FILES and be in the same
directory as Mallard pages, but those are minor issues in my opinion.

        Fred