Re: Moving to CC-BY-SA 4.0

On Thu, 2014-08-14 at 19:13 +0100, David King wrote:
Hi Petr

On 2014-08-14 13:31, Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org> wrote:
Is CC-BY-SA 4.0 backwards compatible? Ie. can we reuse CC-BY-SA 4.0 content
in CC-BY-SA 3.0 documentation? From my POV, it is important that GNOME
documentation is easily reusable in downstream projects, distros, etc.,
and those often use CC-BY-SA 3.0.

No, CC licenses are not backwards-compatible, only forwards-compatible.
If it is a concern for downstream projects, they should probably try to
move to newer versions of CC-BY-SA sooner rather than later, as it
solves other problems such as making attribution easier and adding a
30-day window for license violation corrections. For the moment, it
probably makes sense to stick with 3.0 to ease reuse.

Can we float this by the Fedora and (especially) Ubuntu teams? And
perhaps to some of the apps ecosystem like the Yorba folks?

One of the reasons we switched to CC-BY-SA some years ago was so that we
could more easily share content both up and down the stream, as that's
what most other projects we work with are using. If everybody else is
planning to upgrade as well, we should too. We could even lead the pack
as long as there are no outright objections to *ever* upgrading from any
of our partners.

--
Shaun