Re: Moving to CC-BY-SA 4.0

Hi Petr

On 2014-08-14 13:31, Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org> wrote:
Is CC-BY-SA 4.0 backwards compatible? Ie. can we reuse CC-BY-SA 4.0 content
in CC-BY-SA 3.0 documentation? From my POV, it is important that GNOME
documentation is easily reusable in downstream projects, distros, etc.,
and those often use CC-BY-SA 3.0.

No, CC licenses are not backwards-compatible, only forwards-compatible. If it is a concern for downstream projects, they should probably try to move to newer versions of CC-BY-SA sooner rather than later, as it solves other problems such as making attribution easier and adding a 30-day window for license violation corrections. For the moment, it probably makes sense to stick with 3.0 to ease reuse.

--
http://amigadave.com/