Re: UI freeze break request: App picker

Screenshots, description, and a video. Thanks Florian and Carlos. These
are very helpful. I don't see any major problems for the docs.

--
Shaun

On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 21:32 +0200, Carlos Soriano Sánchez wrote:
What are those various other changes and improvements?

- Popup never exceeds the app picker view, so there's not needed to
navigate through the view to search for an application. Also, now the
popup or the close button of the popup is never cut off. (Note that
when there's more items in the popup that don't fit, we add a scroll
bar to the popup)

- The positioning of the popup is fixed in small resolutions where the
popup was displaced.

- The items inside the popup are aligned with the main app picker
view. That's itself an improvement, but this solve several bugs we
have previously. i.e. Misposicioned popup in the x position when the
width of the screen is big and the popup are in some corner position;
arrow of the popup bad drawn in a similar situation; etc.

- Changing between resolutions makes the popup to adapts the new
resolution.

- As Florian said, now the icons reescale satisfying some minimums
rows/columns requirements, making the overall experience better in
small resolutions (like laptops, netbooks or tablets);

- Added some animations when opening folders, changing between pages,
or the pages indicators itself.

- Added transitions to the overall app picker (i.e. when opening a
popup, the icons now change its opacity in a transition)

- Pan action response reworked for better touch interactivity. Now
instead of a smooth scrolling, we have something similar to the
workspace switcher, but with a good touch response, taking into
account the velocity the user gives to the action (looking forward to
apply the same response to workspace switcher)

- Icons style reworked to match overall gnome-shell and to make the
label below icons more readable.

Maybe I forgot something, but I think these are the most important
things.

Since there are animations, a short video to see the changes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObisRbDujqw&feature=youtu.be

2013/9/1 Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org>
        On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Shaun McCance
        <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
        > Can we get some screenshots of the pagination and a
        description of
        > any particular behaviors?

        Sure, I'm attaching two screenshots.

        The first one shows the "All" section of the app picker
        without an
        open app collection. As seen in that screenshot, the scrolled
        view has
        been replaced with pages (icons are never cut off at the
        bottom, the
        scrollbar on the right has been replaced with a pages
        indicator),
        though scrolling through the application list (using the
        scroll wheel
        or swiping the background) still works as it did in 3.8.

        The second one shows the same section with an open app
        collection. In
        contrast to 3.8, collections now open inline, and their grid
        is
        aligned with the icons of the main grid.

        > What are those various other changes and improvements?

        Carlos is probably in a better position to elaborate on this,
        but
        there are some clear improvements on smaller display sizes -
        while
        previously we ended up with a very small number of huge icons,
        items
        are now scaled to always display a reasonable minimum number
        of items
        (for now: 4x4). Also folder collections now work well with
        those
        displays, while in 3.8 they could end up being misplaced and
        cropped.

        Florian