Re: Missing letters in Menus

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Scott Dunn <sdunn2000 gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot running (11.10). I've made a base image for
> testing and I've tried two different ways to install gnome3:
> 1. Go to Gnome web page and download package from
> here: http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/
> 2. Add the following PPA, ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3, install gnome-shell and
> gnome-session.
> In both cases, the desktop seems to run ok. The applications run, the
> animations are smooth, but there is a problem. in the upper-right-hand
> corner, half of my name is missing. Most of the day and time are missing in
> the center, and to the top left, the menus are displayed instead of
> "activities" followed by the icon representing the current application.
> Any suggestions?

Three things:

1. That second way is not a great way to install gnome-shell in Ubuntu
11.10. It is in the repository, and you can get it (and all its
dependencies) with apt-get install gnome-shell. That's what the “GNOME
is just a click away” part in the Getting GNOME page is all about. If
I recall correctly, the PPA doesn't cause significant breakage in
Oneiric but you may want to check with the Synaptic package manager to
be sure you're running the version of gnome-shell from Ubuntu's
universe repository. (Version will be something like 3.2.0-0ubuntu1).

2. Are you using an ATI graphics card with fglrx? Those symptoms sound
like you are. Apparently Catalyst 11.9 will fix that problem, but for
the time being (and I don't know if Ubuntu is actually going to ship
11.9) you'll get nice results if you switch to the free radeon driver.
It has been very smooth with my Radeon 6850, with the exception that
any kind of 3D application falls to bits.

3. gnome-doc-list isn't the right place for this type of question. A
better place could be the Community Support mailing lists in Ubuntu
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/#Community+Support), http://askubuntu.com/,
or https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell.

Dylan