Re: Different menu layouts in different distros / default desktop configurations

2010/5/12 Jim Campbell <jwcampbell gmail com>:

> I was thinking of a global entity file for the desktop help (i.e. the Gnome
> system docs), not for application help (i.e., Banshee docs).
> The reason for this is the discrepancy between instructions for the legacy
> Gnome panel layout the the Gnome Shell layout.

Personally I think that in this case we need to draw a line on what we
are going to support: the old layout or the new one.
The future of Gnome is the Gnome Shell, can we support both the old
docs and the new one?
I think in this case downstreams or distros that will not switch when
Gnome 3.0 will be released, might help us on keeping the old docs
updated (patches are always welcome!). We have a new branch for the
gnome-3-0 release, distros can still ship the old gnome-2-30 branch.

What we are going to work and focus on is the gnome-3-0 branch, that
will be merged with master when the time comes.
(All of those are my personal opinion.)

Anyway, I think the idea of having a global entities file is valid: we
can have a central place where to store menu paths and probably also
application names (and here I'm thinking more about the DH rather than
an application help). Downstreams, if they need to customize the help
because of changes in their version of the UI can easily modify the
entities file (but as Shaun said, they need to handle also the
translation process, since those modified strings will need to be
retranslated).

--
Milo Casagrande <miloc gnome org>