Re: Newbie Introduction

On 29 July 2010 07:20, April Gonzales <loonycookie gmail com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm April from Cebu City, Philippines. I hold a degree in Computer

[snip]

> For now, I'll proceed with setting up the tools I need for contributing to
> the documentation project. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
>
> Best Regards,
> April Gonzales

April,

I'm sure your help will be welcomed by those who already contribute to
GNOME's documentation. The change to Mallard means that there's plenty
of work to be done. I am only an observer at the moment but hope to
contribute at some point in the future.

To get comfortable with git, I suggest you read at least the
following. Another project that I contribute documentation to also
uses git as its versioning system and as a non-developer it took me
some time to understand how to use it for my work.

Official git tutorial
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html

Git for Designers
http://hoth.entp.com/output/git_for_designers.html

The second document should, I suggest, be titled "Git for
Non-developers". It's perhaps the best explanation I have seen of git
for anyone who does not work with source code but still needs to use
git.

I haven't done formal reviews of git documentation and have not
purchased any git books so I don't know if they might also be
worthwhile. Start with the basics, though, and go from there.

>From what I have seen on the GNOME docs ML, the emphasis is on
contributions, not knowledge of git.

Regards,

Russell Dickenson