Yelp 3.0 Status and Planning
- From: Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>
- To: gnome-doc-list gnome org
- Cc: gnome-doc-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Yelp 3.0 Status and Planning
- Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:54:13 -0600
There have been a few questions about the yelp-3-0 branch
lately, so I thought I'd post a rundown of where things
are and what needs to be done.
In yelp-3-0, most of the hard stuff is being moved into
a library called libyelp. This is in-tree for now as I
work on things. It will move into its own repository
This whole process involves some cleanup and a complete
rewrite of the URI-parsing code to not require Rarian to
construct its indexes. This is a major bottleneck for
Here's what's done:
* URI parsing and handling is pretty solid.
* Mallard transformations work.
* DocBook transformations work.
Here's what remains, roughly in order of what I consider
highest priority to lowest.
* Search. Neither of the search backends in Yelp 2.x
has a big future. We need to see what Tracker can
provide for us.
* The listing of all installed documentation. Note
that this won't be the default front page for Yelp
in 3.0. We'll default to the desktop help.
* Man pages.
* Info pages.
I also want to change the internals of the DocBook
code to make it only process each chunk on demand.
This should help in perceived processing speed for
] [Thread Prev