Re: Idea for simpler lists and tables

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 18:54 +0100, Milo Casagrande wrote:
> 2010/1/5 Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:
> >
> > My question is, does it make sense to you as writers?
> > It certainly seems much easier once you understand it,
> > but does it boggle you at first glance?  I want to make
> > things as simple as possible, but sometimes too simple
> > can just be confusing.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> When at first I saw this:
> <list>
> </list>
>
> I thought: are those three different items in a list, or is it a list
> with one item and three paragraphs?

Right, that's what I was afraid of.  We're all used to having
some sort of list item marker (DocBook's listitem, HTML's li).
So a list without marker elements is jarring.  When people see
this for the first time, I'm not sure they'll be able to guess
its meaning.

> Maybe I'm used with the more-typing syntax (even if gedit snippet FTW)
> so at first it was a little bit weird to me and it took a little bit
> to get me in, but it looks interestingly easy to use and to get used.

Yeah, I think it's a fairly simple solution once you understand
it.  It's just a question of whether it's worth the potential
confusion.

> FWIW, from my personal experience, what I feel more complicated are
> tables rather than lists.

In my experience, tables are complicated in any language. ;-)

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/