Re: Hamster documentation review

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 15:39 +0000, Bruce Cowan wrote:
> Here's a patch that fixes a few grammar issues. I don't really know how
> Mallard works, so bear with me if I did anything incorrectly.
>
> I'd be happy to review any other documentation now, or in the future.

Thanks Bruce.  A lot of really good fixes in there.
A few comments:

-    Activities are stored in an SQLite database, located
+    Activities are stored in a SQLite database, located at
Whether to use "an" or "a" is tricky here, because there are
two common pronunciations of SQL.  I tend to say "es que el",
and hence "es que el lite", so I would use "an".  But if you
say "sequel" and "sequelite", then "a" is correct.  (The "at",
of course, is a correct addition regardless.)

-        News go here.
+        News goes here.
Correct fix, but I wonder if we should just nix this section
until there's real content.  I know I tell people to stub
early and often, but when we're preparing for releases, we
should start scrubbing the unfinished stubs.

Should this be "add a category"?

+ doing something else for the last seven minutes. Relative times work
+ only without end times — that is — for the most recent activity.
A comma should follow "that is" in pretty much any case.  As
for what should precede it, read a dozen different style guides
and you'll get two dozen different answers.  Maybe we could just
recast the whole thing as "Relative times only work for ongoing
activity without an end time."

+ Tags are delimited by a comma. Hitting the <key>Tab</key> when the
suggestion
+ box shows up will complete input to the first matching tag.
How about "Press <key>Tab</key> when the suggestion box appears
to complete the input to the first matching tag."?

+ day. Start by entering the first activity and check the "in progress"
Style guide actually says never to use "check" as a verb, and
to use "select" instead.  "and select <gui>in progress</gui>
for the end time"

+ needed cells, and then copy/paste them into the target application.
"copy and paste"

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/