Re: Review documentation of Solang

----- "Phil Bull" <philbull gmail com> wrote:

> I've done a quick review of this, using the version of Solang which
> is
> packaged for Ubuntu Jaunty (0.3-0ubuntu1). I understand if this is a
> bit
> outdated.

Thanks for the review.

>       * "How do I import photos?" - this section isn't very useful at
>         the moment. When I start Solang in Ubuntu, Tracker isn't
>         running, and Solang doesn't display any photos. The help
> should
>         tell me that I need to start Tracker, or that I should use
> the
>         Photo -> Import From menu.

Actually the documentation is for 0.4 series and as we won't release it with 0.3 I think there's no need to write docs for 0.3.
Furthermore there's no more photo -> Import menu in 0.4.

>       * "How do I import photos?" - also says that I don't need to
> worry
>         about importing photos from my camera, because they will
> already
>         be there. Is this true? What happens when you disconnect the
>         camera? Are the photos copied automatically?

Wooops, I wrote it with my own way of getting photos from my camera in mind, I'll remove that part and link to a page about importing photos from a camera.... as soon as Solang got Importer for cameras :-)

>       * "How do I export photos?" - I think that this section would
>         benefit from a more descriptive name, since users might not
>         think of "copying photos to a different folder" as
> "exporting."

Yeah, I agree but I don't know how I should name the topic. "How do I copy files to a different folder ?" seems weird and is too long, any idea ?

>       * There are spaces between the end of sentences and punctuation
>         marks like "!" and "?". This isn't stylistically consistent
> with
>         the other docs, so the spaces should be removed.

Thanks, I'll correct that.

>       * "What's a tag?" - The phrase "Tags are keyword[s] or terms
> you
>         can associate with a document" might be confusing, since most
>         users are unlikely to think of photos as being a type of
>         document. Maybe it's just best to say something like "Tags
> are
>         keywords that you can use to label and organize photos."
> Using
Okay thanks, I'll change it.

>       * "What's a tag?" - This section should also have a link to the
>         other topics on using tags.
>       * "How do I use tags?" - I think that this topic should be
> split
>         up into two sections: one on adding/modifying/removing the
> tags
>         of an individual photo, and one on creating/deleting tags.
Okay, first I had divided it in two parts, but I don't know why I mixed all in one page. I'll split it back.

> Here are a few topics that you might consider covering:
>
>       * What does the histogram show?
Added to my to-do list.
>       * How can I correct problems with my photos?
>       * My photos are the wrong way around
I think I can put these topics in a "Correct photos" section. Added to the to-do list.

>       * Shrinking photos down to size
>       * Where has the sidebar gone?
>       * What keyboard shortcuts can I use?
Here I have a problem because I don't know in which section I should put these topics. I don't know if it's okay to create a section "User Interface questions ?"; as far as I understand this is not really the kind of things that should be in a user doc. But these are interesting questions, I'll write the topics and link it to their section ASAP.

>       * I want to see more photos on the screen
>       * Why does it take so long to import my pictures?
These issues disappeared with Solang 0.4.

Again, thanks a lot for reviewing the documentation.

Florent Thévenet