Re: Empathy help

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 19:31 +0200, Milo Casagrande wrote:
> Speaking of 3.0 and about new features that will land in Empathy, do
> you have any suggestions in order for us to keep track of those new
> features? Sometimes it is quite hard to know exactly what it's going
> on unless you play hard with the software, or follow the git commit
> log... Do you think an open bug at the beginning of the cycle with a
> request to write something each time a new feature has been inserted
> would be useful? I know this kind of things can quite get into the
> devs way, but maybe we can find a common ground and "technology" to
> ease all our lives.

Something we talked about before was having a "What's New" page
in the help. When developers add something notably, they could
add a quick blurb to that page. We could put it in a <comment>,
with no expectations that developers would write anything too
fancy. Then we'd go through that list and write good stuff in
the "What's New" page, and use that to help us know what else
to write.

This, I think, could help us with new features, but it doesn't
help us when, say, a documented bug is fixed. Another thing I
suggested long in the past was to change the way we resolve
bugs in bugzilla. Instead of resolving immediate, developers
could move bugs to the docs component. Then we'd look at them
and decide if we want to do anything.

There are plenty of bugs that could just be closed right away
without going through us. But this would be a nice option. If
the developer thinks there's a chance docs are affected, give
the bug to us. It would be nice to have a big button on bug
pages to make this super-simple for developers and triagers.

Anybody have any other suggestions? It's a tough problem that
we've never quite figured out how to solve.

--
Shaun