Re: Proposal for a comments system

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 10:28 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 01:12 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
> [...]
> > Are there any use cases for the comments system which would produce
> > comments which wouldn't need to be resolved (in whatever way) by
> > modifying the documentation? i.e. Are there any types of comments which
> > should always be visible on a page? If there aren't, the system could
> > just be a fancy interface to Bugzilla, automatically putting together a
> > bug report with details of which part of the documentation needs to be
> > changed.
>
> I think that Shaun is proposing something similar to the "User
> contributed notes" used by the online PHP documentation [1].

That would work well for developer documentation, but I can't think of
any situations where user contributed notes for user documentation could
not just be folded into the documentation proper.

> One issue I'd like to pick up on is that people will definitely try to
> use this feature to ask for support. First of all, we should design the
> system in a such a way as to discourage this. Then, we'd need an easy
> way of forwarding support requests to an appropriate mailing
> list/forum/etc. I guess GNOME could sign up to Launchpad Answers...

All support requests should really be forwarded to the user's distro.
For the moment, forwarding them manually would be OK; we can always
extend the system to allow automated forwarding of support request
comments to distros later.

Philip