Re: Proposal for a comments system

Hi Philip,

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 01:12 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
[...]
> Are there any use cases for the comments system which would produce
> comments which wouldn't need to be resolved (in whatever way) by
> modifying the documentation? i.e. Are there any types of comments which
> should always be visible on a page? If there aren't, the system could
> just be a fancy interface to Bugzilla, automatically putting together a
> bug report with details of which part of the documentation needs to be
> changed.

I think that Shaun is proposing something similar to the "User
contributed notes" used by the online PHP documentation [1].

One issue I'd like to pick up on is that people will definitely try to
use this feature to ask for support. First of all, we should design the
system in a such a way as to discourage this. Then, we'd need an easy
way of forwarding support requests to an appropriate mailing
list/forum/etc. I guess GNOME could sign up to Launchpad Answers...

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.expressions.php

--