Re: Proposal for a comments system

Hi,

What is the exact motivation for using a comments system? I can see it
serve two purposes - one to point out any errors, inconsistencies or
ambiguous documentation, and the other to ask questions. If it's the
latter, you'll end up having a lot of people asking questions from the
related to unrelated \- as sometimes people are desperate to reach out
and find some help.

On an article about Desktop resolution settings, someone might post
"Help! My sound doesn't work" and get disappointed as nobody looks or
is willing to help. Also if you are interested in deploying a comment
system purely for online usage, you might consider using Disqus[1] or
IntenseDebate[2]. These work really well for preventing spam but call
non-free systems on the backend, which might be a problem. These also
prevent the need to rewrite the library server code to work with
threaded comments, etc.

I've written a program called Splatter [3] that retrieves comments and
bugs from bugzilla and caches them locally. What I learned while doing
that is it's pretty hard to keep a server resource and local resource
in sync, both for the server and the client (then again I am pretty
naive and inexperienced), but writing a desktop client to work with a
cloud service and download _only_ the updates since last time, and to
cache all the existing updates can lead to all sorts of problems.

Thanks,
Anirudh

[1] - http://disqus.com/
[2] - http://intensedebate.com/
[3] - http://anirudhsanjeev.org/projects/splatter
--
Senior undergraduate student, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
http://anirudhsanjeev.org