Re: [Mallard] Add new element to lists which doesn't require a child block element

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 13:24 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Suggested alteration to the Mallard spec.

Phil, thanks for staying on top of these.  Everybody else
feel free to do the same.

> SUGGESTION
>
> Mallard lists usually require the author to type
> and again is tiresome. I propose a "shorthand" tag which behaves exactly
> the same as <item><p>, but which is shorter and doesn't require two
> tags, e.g. <li>Something</li>.
>
> ADVANTAGES
>
> (1) Faster to type, reduces burden on author.
>
> (2) Reduces clutter, makes it easier to find errors or read the content
> between tags.
>
> (3) Reduced risk of forgetting to close tags, or nesting tags
> improperly.
>
> (4) The existing <item><block> formalism can still be used when block
> elements other than <p> are required.
>
> PROBLEMS
>
> (1) Provides two ways of doing the same thing, could cause confusion.
>
> (2) Not particularly elegant.

So I thought about this one before as well.  I also thought
about the same thing for <td>.  And I just couldn't figure
out a way that didn't run afoul of (2).  It just feels hacky,
although I agree it's convenient.

> (3) More difficult for parsers to deal with?

No tools I can think of would have a real problem with it.

> (4) Panders to lazy people.

/me raises his hand.

--
Shaun