Re: Question about entities in Mallard

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 21:03 -0600, Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Docbook has switched to a RelaxNG schema with the release of Docbook
> 5.  RelaxNG schemas cannot natively handle entities in the same way
> that DTD's can, but the Docbook documentation provides an example of
> how you can still declare a separate entities file in Docbook 5
> documents [1].
>
> I have tried (but failed!) to declare an entity via a similar method
> in a Mallard document.  I didn't really expect it to work, but I
> thought I would give it a try before sending a note to the mailing
> list.
>

> Is there some special RelaxNG-foo that would need to be in place to
> enable similar functionality in Mallard?  Will my referencing
> docbook's implementation help Shaun with this?
>

> I hope so.  If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
>  Thanks!
>
> Jim
>
> [1] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Db5Entities.html

Jim, this technique works fine for me.  I've attached a Mallard
page that defines and uses an entity for the title.  This shows
fine in Yelp, and it validates.

The trickier question is how to include the standard character
entities.  There are similar DOCTYPE tricks, but you'll need
to have them installed on your system.  It turns out that you
do have them installed as part of the DocBook package, but do
we want to rely on that?  Should we encourage people to use
DocBook's character entity definitions?  Should we ship our
own character entity definitions?

/me thinks the standard character entities should have just
been part of the XML standard.

--
Shaun

Title: &title;
]>

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque ultrices pellentesque augue, vel aliquam ante dapibus ut. Vestibulum ligula nisi.