Question regarding Gnome Desktop User Guide

I hope to clarify a question of your document's convenions,
specifically,...

In Table 8-17 of section 8.5.2.1 'Setting Session Preferences', the
second option in the table reads:

==BEGIN QUOTED TEXT==

Dialog Element: Remember currently running applications

the current state of your session. The session manager saves the
session-managed applications that are open, and the settings associated
with the session-managed applications. The next time that you start a
session, the applications start automatically, with the saved settings.

==END QUOTED TEXT==

This second row of the table in question is printed on a gray
background.  Is there a specific reason for these elements being printed
in gray other than perhaps to contrast it from the first option in the
first row of the table?

The reason I question the gray background is because this option is not
present in my version of the Gnome Desktop.  Is the option printed in
gray to indicate that not every version includes this option in the
Session Preferences Tool, or as I mentioned before, it is written on the
gray background merely to differentiate the first table option from the
second?

I will be happy to answer any clarifying questions you may have, and I
eagerly anticipate your reply.