Re: Documentation Status Tracking

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 12:19 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> Note that I believe the proposed system can also help our
> intrepid translators.  I don't believe we are ready yet to
> impose hard freezes on documentation, but this system does
> impose freezes on any documents marked as "final".  While
> not a complete solution, this can at least help translators
> prioritize which documents they work on.

I also want to point out that I intend for us to get iteratively
more strict about freezing our documentation for translators as
time goes on.  So, for instance, if we get a sufficient number
of documents out of "incomplete", we may implement a freeze on
all "review" and "candidate" documents 72 hours prior to each
stable release.

In doing so, however, I'd like to push the release team to get
more strict about module inclusion based on documentation.  We
absolutely cannot ask for this unless we're hopping along, and
we can truthfully pin the blame on uncooperative maintainers.

But I would like us to be able to demand proposed modules have
documentation that's at least in the "incomplete" or even the
"draft" stage by the time module decisions happen.  There are
three to four months between proposals and decisions.  That
ought to be more than enough time.

--
Shaun