Re: GNOME Accessibility Guide - open change review

On 18 Jun 2008, at 21:16, Vincent Alexander wrote:

<gnome-access-guide.html>

I've had a quick glance through the bits that deal with keyboard navigation and themes, as I used to lose a lot of sleep over those things :)

General: I can't help feeling there are probably some new widgets/ conventions in common use now that weren't around when the guide was first written, whose keyboard navigations need documenting here. (Admittedly none spring immediately to mind, but it would be good to do some due diligence to make sure.)

§ 2.1 Essential Keyboard Commands

You mention that Ctrl-Esc is used on Solaris instead of Alt-F1; if you're doing that, should also mention that Meta-R is used instead of Alt-F2, again for consistency with MS Windows. (Although, in fact, it's really a Solaris bug that Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 don't work in addition to those two shortcuts... hopefully we'll fix that one of these days.)

Tab and Shift-Tab: might also want to mention that Ctrl-Tab and Shift- Ctrl-Tab are used instead where Tab and Shift-Tab are reserved for use by the focused control. (Although you do mention this in §3.2.1.1.)

Alt-Tab and Shift-Alt-Tab: might also want to mention that Alt-Esc and Shift-Alt-Esc cycle between applications without the little popup window. (Although you do mention this in §3.2.5.1.)

§ 3.2.1.2 Global Keyboard Shortcuts

You describe Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 again here, but this time you don't mention that it's different on Solaris.

You describe Shift-F10 as the shortcut for an object's popup menu. Might also want to mention that Ctrl-F10 is sometimes used to open the parent object's popup menu. For example, on the desktop, Shift-F10 opens the focused icon's popup menu, and Ctrl-F10 opens the desktop's popup menu. Similar usage on the panel. (On the other hand, as this usage is relatively infrequent, maybe it's best left to the application-specific sections.)

§ 3.2.2 Navigating the Desktop Background

Solaris also has a different shortcut for Ctrl-Alt-D: it uses Meta-D instead (for consistency with MS Windows).

§ 3.2.3 Navigating Panels

Worth mentioning in the descriptions of Tab and Ctrl-Alt-Tab that Shift will reverse the direction? (Although it does take some dexterity to use Shift-Ctrl-Alt-Tab!)

"F10: Open the Applications menu when the Menu Panel has focus. Continue to press F10 to switch focus between the Applications menu and the window list." Couple of notes on this:

* F10 only works for the Applications menu that's on the menu bar applet, not the Applications submenu that's part of the main menu applet. This is because F10 is really cycling focus between menu bars, and the main menu applet isn't implemented as a menu bar, but as a button... not the sort of detail that it's nice to expose users to :/

So, what's currently written is correct (modulo my next comment) in the context of the out-of-the-box, unmodified-from-community top panel (aka the Menu Panel), but just be aware that it doesn't describe the general behaviour of F10 on panels, which is what a reader might expect here.

* It's not actually the "window list" applet that will receive focus if you press F10 again, but the "window selector" applet (the one that shows all your open windows in a dropdown menu).

* Needless to say, F10 will only cycle between the menu bar applet and the window selector applet if they're both on the same panel-- again, this is true of the default GNOME setup, but not necessarily the general case.

§ 3.2.5.1 Giving Focus to Windows

In addition to Alt-Tab and Alt-Esc, we now have [Shift]-Alt-F6, which cycles focus between windows of the same application.

§ 3.2.6.1 Essential Keyboard Shortcuts for NavigatingApplications (sic)

The list of "useful shortcuts" (Ctrl-O,S,L) seems fairly abitrary, there are probably some more common and useful ones you could list here. (E.g. Ctrl-C/V/X, Ctrl-P?)

§ 3.2.6.2  Essential Keyboard Shortcuts for Navigating Dialogs

<rant> "Esc: close and/or cancel the dialog" nicely encapsulates my dislike for the ant-HIG practice of using Esc to mean Cancel *or* Close. How does the user know which of those two directly-opposed actions is going to happen? </rant>

"Perform the default action for the dialog". Might be worth describing/showing how the default button is indicated in a dialog.

§ 3.2.7 Navigating the File Manager

For consistency with the desktop navigation section, probably ought to mention somewhere that Shift-F10 opens a file/folder's popup menu, and Ctrl-F10 opens the enclosing folder's popup menu (same as right- clicking on the view pane background).

§ 3.2.8 Navigating Help Content in Caret Navigation Mode

I'd guess this section applies not just to Help Content, but also to caret mode in Evolution and Epiphany? If so, suggest rewriting to cover Caret Mode generally. (There may be slight differences between those three applications, in which case the differences should obviously be highlighted here, and/or bugs filed for any needless inconsistencies.)

§ 3.2.9.8  Navigating Drop-Down Combination Boxes

Is Ctrl-Down still really a Solaris-only shortcut? If so, suggests there's probably a bug with a languishing patch somewhere-- would be good to find it and follow up.

§ 3.2.9.10. Navigating Tabbed Sections

The descriptions of Ctrl-PgUp/PgDn are slightly incorrect since the alternatives (Ctrl-Alt-PgUp/Dn) were added. Either:

* they should specifically say to use Ctrl-Alt-PgUp/Dn if the focused control uses Ctrl-PgUp/Dn for another purpose, or

* we shouldn't mention Ctrl-PgUp/Dn at all any more, and only document Ctrl-Alt-PgUp/Dn since they always work.

§ 3.2.10  Customizing Your Keyboard Shortcuts

Again, it's silly that this process is different on Solaris, and I have no idea why it would be other than that we pushed a patch upstream that was rejected or is languishing somewhere. This ought to be resolved.

§ 4.2.1 Customization Options

Table 4-1 is a little out of date. It needs to be updated to refer to the appropriate tabs of the 'Appearance preference tool'.

Perhaps adjusting the size of the mouse pointer should now also be listed in this table and covered in this chapter, now that the settings have moved to Themes tab> Customize dialog? (This is currently covered in §5.2.1.1.3.)

§ 4.2.2.1  Introduction to Themes

Perhaps worth mentioning that a theme can also include a suggested font (particularly as this is referred to in Table 4-2), and that some themes' colours can be customised.

§ 4.2.2.2  Choosing themes

I note there's no mention of the LowContrast and LowContrastLargePrint themes here. While they're not built by default, some distros do ship them.

The text under table 4-2 is out of date. One now selects a theme on the Theme tab of the Appearance preference tool, and clicks the Customize button.

§ 4.2.2.3 Modifying the Controls Setting for a Theme

Again, needs to be updated to refer to the Appearance preference tool. (BTW, I notice some inconsistency in this document about how preferences dialogs are referred to-- in some places it's the "Blah Preferences dialog", in others its the "Blah preference tool". Check the documentation style guide for correct usage.)

Table 4-3: mentions the LowContrastLargePrint gtk theme, but is missing the LowContrast one.

§ 4.2.2.4, 4.2.2.5  Modifying the Window Border/Icon setting for a theme

Again, needs to be updated to refer to the Appearance preference tool.

Table 4-4: Starting from GNOME 2.22, there is no longer a LowContrast icon theme, only HighContrast and HighContrastInverse. (There is also an experimental HighContrast-SVG theme, not sure if we should mention this yet though.)

§ 4.2.4.1  Achieving a High or Low Contrast Desktop

Again, needs to be updated to refer to the Appearance preference tool. Step 1 may need to make it clear that selecting the "No Wallpaper" option now means selecting the first thumbnail in the list, because this isn't at all obvious (it's always catching me out!)

§ 4.2.4.2  Achieving a Large Print desktop

Again, needs to be updated to refer to the Appearance preference tool.

§ 5.2.1.1.3  Changing the Mouse Pointer Size

As noted earlier, this should now perhaps be covered in Section 4, as the settings now appear in the Theme Customization dialog. But I can see how it would still fit here, too.

§ 5.2.2  Configuring the Keyboard

Possibly saving the worst news till last: This whole section needs revising I'm afraid; the Keyboard Accessibility preferences have changed completely. (They're now in the Accessibility tab of the Keyboard Preferences).

HTH,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team