sysadmin guide overhaul

Hey guys,

last night I took an hour or so to look over the sysadmin guide that
we're currently shipping with gnome 2.22 (the document is still called
"Gnome 2.14 ...").

I have a bunch of notes that I'll append below. I wonder if there is
somebody with the skill and interest in working on an updated version
of this document. I'm willing to expand the notes with necessary details
or find the domain experts to do that, if there are some writers how
would turn those notes into an actual document...

Thanks, Matthias

sysadmin guide

1. gconf
- should discuss sysadmin features of gconf-editor
- discuss sabayon here, or own chapter ?
- shouldn't discuss print manager peferences

2. menus
- looks ok, mostly
- might need updates to discuss alternatives such as gnome-main-menu

3. themes
- misses background, cursors and colors
- icon section should mention icon-naming spec
- should mention icon cache updating

4. fonts
- looks ok, still

5. mime types
- discuss content types here, or own chapter ?
- misses recent additions: glob weights, icons, tree magic
- should discuss mimeapps.list
- should mention mime cache updating

6. screensavers
- should discuss lock dialog themeing

7. sessions
- needs to be rewritten for new gnome-session
- discussion of autostart is missing

8. help
- might want to discuss how to use yelp for your own docs, like we do in
RHEL
- s/scrollkeeper/rarian/

9. performance
- should discuss indexers like tracker, beagle
- should discuss compositing
- some of the recommendations looks somewhat ridiculous (splash
screen ?!)

10. lockdown
- should discuss all the keys under /desktop/gnome/lockdown
- should refer to gconf chapter for setting mandatory keys
- should refer to sabayon

Missing chapters/topics

- different deployment types
  - laptops vs. thin clients vs. individual workstations
- PolicyKit
- sabayon
- gdm
- user directories
- indexers/search
- content types
- device access
- networking
  - preconfiguring access points like CSB does
  - proxies
  - what parts of the desktop cause network traffic
  - firewall: needed ports, e.g. gnome-user-share, remote desktop, daap
- intlclock
  - setting up locations
- printing
- other peripherals