Re: Word-a-Day: cursor, insertion point, pointer

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 15:46 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2008, at 21:17, Shaun McCance wrote:

> > cursor
> > A symbol indicating where text will be inserted or deleted
> > when the user types.  Prefer the term "insertion point" over
> > "cursor".  The term "cursor" may be more appropriate when
> > discussing text-based interfaces where that term is used
> > more frequently.
> >
> > Do not use cursor as a synonym for pointer.
> > insertion point
> > The point at which text will be inserted or deleted when the
> > user types.  The insertion point is shown as a blinking line
> > or a blinking rectangle.
>
> I'd be slightly wary of the "blinking" part--that's a user preference,
> although it is the default.
>
> Would there be any reason to give the "blinking line or blinking
> rectangle" a name as well (e.g. the "text cursor"?)

What most style guides seem to imply is that "cursor"
(or "text cursor") is the name of the "blinking line
or rectangle", and that the cursor marks the insertion
point.  There's also the term "caret", which seem to
be synonymous with "cursor".  But I've only ever seen
"caret" used in accessibility stuff.  (I don't think
it's a very well-known word.)

That brings up an interesting point, because when we
use "caret" in the context of accessibility, it often
refers to a keyboard-controllable point in applications
like Epiphany and Yelp.  It's quite a stretch to call
this an insertion point, since you can't insert text
in a read-only application.

(This is also reminding me that we should also include
the word "caret" in the Style Guide, even if it's just
to say not to use it.)

Anyway, Calum, I went with "insertion point" instead of
"cursor" because that's what both Apple and Microsoft
have done, and I just assume they've got some usability
testing to back their recommendations up.  I would love
to see some usability tests on this, as well as a few
other words.  Does anybody have the means to do that?

--
Shaun