Re: Word-a-Day: cancel, stop

Shaun McCance schrieb:
cancel
End an operation without leaving any side effects.  Only use
"cancel" if the operation can be ended cleanly, leaving the
system in the same state as before the operation was started.
Use "stop" instead if ending the operation will result in
partial effects of the operation remaining.
stop
End an operation leaving some side effects.  Use stop if the
operation cannot be ended cleanly, or if ending the operation
will leave it partially completed.  Use "cancel" instead if
the operation can be ended cleanly with no side effects.

We don't currently have recommendations for these in the
Style Guide, but this jives with the HIG's recommendation:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/feedback-interrupting.html.en

Suggestions on better wording are welcome.

--
Shaun

Sound good. Do you have an example where stop is used? Some long running activities that come to my mind are:
* download: cancel, as the partial download will be removed
* ripping a dvd: cancel, as the partial encoded file is useless and will be removed
* copying many files: stop, as its unlikely that already copied files should be removed (although it probably removes the current partially transmitted one).
* burning a cd: stop, as burning can't be undone

Did I got that right?

Stefan