Re: Bug 432546 =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=93?= document requirement on gnome-power-manager

Hi Jeff,

it's great seeing some new forces willing to join the team. GNOME really
needs top quality documentation, and we're glad you're eager to
contribute.

First, you'd like to contact also the gnome-power-manager maintainer,
Richard Hughes <richard hughsie com>, to inform him you're going to
change the documentation. Maybe he can give you a hint on what's mostly
done and what isn't.

Then, if you've a debian-based distro, like Ubuntu, for example, you can
get subversion installing it via apt-get:

	sudo apt-get install subversion

Since you'll want to compile also gnome-power-manager and its
documentation, you could use:

	sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-power-manager

Of course, on Fedora or other distros this command would need to be
adjusted due to a different packaging system.

Once you're set, you just need to issue:

	svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gnome-power-manager/trunk g-p-m

You then will find the help files for g-p-m in the "help/C" subdirectory
(for English).

The file "gnome-power-manager.xml" is the one you want to tweak. It's in
the DocBook format, which somewhat resembles HTML which you may be
familiar with.

There are some good guides around about DocBook; the official guide is:
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html

Of course you don't need to read all that, but it's great to have it as
a reference of the various entities.

Maybe someone else on this list may point you to some kickstart-tutorial
on DocBook. Even if it may seem a little bit overcomplicated at first,
writing fluently in DocBook comes easy enough quite fast.

Once you've modified the .xml file, you'll want to launch:

	gnome-doc-tool xhtml gnome-power-manager.xml

This should create a series of .html files. Open
gnome-power-manager.html and see the if the changes you've done are
okay.

When you're satisfacted with the result, you can send the diff to the
maintaner.

For example, from the g-p-m directory:

	svn diff > g-p-m-documentation.patch

I believe you just need to post the patch on the relevant mailing list
(namely, the one of g-p-m), or open a bug at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/
attaching your patch.

Ah, every once in a while (before starting to work on the manual again)
you'd want to do a:

	svn update

inside of the g-p-m dir, to ensure you're working with the latest
revision. In the unlikely case you'll encounter some conflicts during
time, you'll need to solve them. The subversion manual says something
about that.

I hope not to have written something wrong, it's bedtime for me :-).

Cheers and thanks,
Matteo