Two-words and one-words GUI elements

Well, as your report suggests, for UI elements we use mostly the "joint"
form. I'd like much more the two-words version, though. I find that much
clearer to read and understand -- more descriptive and less looking like
a geeky invention.

Calling something a "podcast" may make sense since it's a neologism
anyway, and even taking the term apart you wouldn't recognize it
immediately. I'd even say that writing it together makes one more easily
deduce it's some word with a 'special' meaning, and not just a compound;
so a trip to Wikipedia is in order. In other words, "podcast"'s semantic
meaning is not self-contained in the term. However, a "menu bar" is just
that: a set of menu items laid out on a bar line. Why do you need a new
word for that?

Given that, my spellchecker (which, it tells me, is right written as a
single word :-)) is quite reasonably informing me that no such words as
"checkbox", "menubar", "statusbar" and "titlebar" exist.

Another matter is, there's also "radio button" to consider, which is
still a widget of the UI being composed by two words.
I personally think it has been given one of the uglier names I can
imagine, because it may describe its form (given your Gtk+ theme doesn't
change that) but certainly not its use.

I took time to interview a dozen-or-so non-techie people, and they
didn't recognize this until I explicitly told them what it was. Though I
admit they were not native English-speakers, they had some problems with
the status bar at first, too.

I'd like to see "radio button" really go away, far away, never to turn
back. It's way better using the term "option" and that's all; if you
need to refer to some of these options, you just call them a "group of
options", and you ask the user to "choose one of the following options".

If he reads of "choose your sex with the right radio button, selecting
Male or Female" he'd panic, but "choose your sex between Male and
Female selecting the right option" is enough for anyone to understand.
The exact wording of the last sentence can be further improved, of
course.

Just my 2 €-cents.
Matteo

PS. Sorry for any mistake, I've learned English attending high school.