Re: Word-a-Day: button, command button, toggle button

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 12:59 -0400, Og Maciel wrote:
> >  toggle button
>
> So all buttons (command, toggle) become button, correct? Instead of
> (apologies for the lack of creativity coming up with a sentence):
>
> "Click the bloody toggle button to perform a lobotomy or not"
>
> we'd have:
>
> "Click the bloody button to toggle a lobotomy or not"?

Basically, yes (except that we don't use "toggle"
as a verb).  My general tendency is to make our
language less obtusely verbose.  If it's obvious
that it's a toggle button, just call it a button.

On a somewhat related note, I don't think toggle
buttons should even be used very often.  I see the
case for them on toolbars and palettes, but most
places should just use check boxes.  But that's
an issue for the HIG to address.

--
Shaun