Re: Word-a-Day: email

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 20:16 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Am Montag, den 07.04.2008, 11:52 -0500 schrieb Shaun McCance:
> > I want to address plurals here.  How's this addition?

> > The word "email" may be used as a mass noun.  Avoid using
> > "email" as a countable plural; use "email messages" instead.
> >
> > Correct:
> >   I read some email this morning.
> >   I sent you two email messages last night.
> > Incorrect:
> >   I read some emails this morning.
> >   I sent you two emails last night.
>
> hmm. in evolution i have always tried to use the plural "mail" to avoid
> exactly this problem, e.g. "I read some mail this morning."
> in german language it is totally common to say "two emails", in english
> this may sound strange or wrong.

I think there's nothing wrong with using "email" as a
mass noun, in the same way you're using "mail".  And
avoiding an actual plural (emails) is exactly the same
for "mail".  You wouldn't say "I sent out two mails
today" for letters.

Of course, Evolution is perfectly welcome to use "mail"
for the mass noun as well as for the singular, since
the context of email is well-established in Evolution.

(Evolution might want to come up with its own internal
guidelines as to when to use "email" and when to use
"mail", for consistency.)

--
Shaun