Re: Word-a-Day: email

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 18:28 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> I don't expect much dissent on this one, but
> you never know.

> email
> An electronic mail message.  One word; do not hyphenate
> or write as eMail.  Can be used as a noun, adjective, or
> verb.  Prefer the phrase "send an email" over "email" as
> a verb, although you may use "email" alone as a verb in
> casual writing, when space is constrained, or when it
> fits the sentence better.  You contact a person "by email",
> not "with", "through", or "via" email.
>
> If the context of email has been established, you may use
> "mail" instead of "email".  For example, an email application
> might use "You have new mail" as a notification.

I want to address plurals here.  How's this addition?

The word "email" may be used as a mass noun.  Avoid using
"email" as a countable plural; use "email messages" instead.

Correct:
  I read some email this morning.
  I sent you two email messages last night.
Incorrect:
  I read some emails this morning.
  I sent you two emails last night.

Shaun