GDP Handbook -- Getting Started

There's a big section of the Hadbook called "Getting
Started".
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/handbook/gdp-handbook/ar01s03.html

I've been around for two release cycles now, and even
now, it's enough to scare me off.
It talks about tons of command line stuff I've never
used, and packages that I probably haven't installed.
It's all far, far too technical for lowly
documentation writers.
(And it suggests Emacs and vi as editors. I'm not even
going to say what I think of that.)

Secondly, it talks about writing documentation as if
there's some sort of *workflow*, rather than the
chaotic last-minute scramble to document applications.

The main thing is that we have no GNOME Documentation
Status Table, and therefore not much of a clue about
which manuals are our responsibility, and who is
working on what. The later sections 'Teamwork' and
'Finishing a Document' make for an amusing read too.

A lot of this document duplicates what we've tried to
create on the wiki -- a quick step-by-step guide to
start working on documentation.
Do we want this to be on the wiki, or in the Handbook?
Do we want a split between the two, so the wiki
quickly guides people to filing bugs and editing wiki
pages, while the Handbook is for those who are ready
to delve into DocBook?
Do we even have people who are potential contributors?

Yahoo! Photos is now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo. http://uk.photos.yahoo.com