GConf Key Reference

I've been playing around with python, libxml2, libxslt and gconf schemas
files... This is what I've come up with:

http://www.gnome.org/~bmsmith/gconf-keys/index.html

I was wondering if there were any opinions about generating a "key"
reference for each dot OH release?  Right now ISVs have to either go
to the xml files at /etc/gconf/schemas/*.schemas, or navigate around in
gconf-editor to figure out what keys do what (unless they know about
something I don't, which is entirely possible)

The python script basically aggregates all the keys by the content of
the <owner> element, uses a bit of metadata to categorize them, and then
spits out  some docbook to give what you see at the above URL.

I think generating a key reference would be beneficial in a number of
ways:

1) it lets us know what keys have changed between stable releases
2) it's a lot easier to associate keys to programs and navigate around
in the docbook file, than it is in gconf-editor.  It's also easier to
see key defaults, and type information
3) hopefully it can help generate a "big picture" so that developers can
understand where to add new keys, and what settings are "appropriate"
for storing in gconf
4) ...?

Still playing around with it.  Let me know your comments, good or bad!

(The thread that got me interested in this was "Gnome is a problem for OEMs", http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-April/msg00111.html)

Regards,

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net>