Re: Live CD 2.14

Shaun McCance wrote:
On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 14:33 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 13:13 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

I wonder, how much does this Linux/X/GNOME/Distro
stack hurt us, and how much does it help us?

We normally change very Ubuntu-specific stuff in the LiveCD, where that
is easy. For instance, we use Epiphany instead of Firefox and change the
theme to the GNOME default.

But Marcus Bauer obviously didn't get much feedback about his 2.14
LiveCD, so he can hardly be blamed if it isn't perfect.

So during the 2.13 cycle, Brent made a VMPlayer image
for Gnome.  I don't think it ever got released to the
general public, but a number of our documentation folks
were using it.

As I understand it, Brent used the LiveCD stuff as a
starting point for the image, which in turn is based
off of Ubuntu.

Both processes sound similar to me, just different in
how they ultimately "encode" the final operating system.
This naturally leads me to ask if we could have a team
that produces both a VM and a LiveCD for every one of
our unstable releases.  It seems to me that, if you're
already making one, making the other shouldn't be much
additional effort.

Documentation people seem to really like using the VM,
so that would provide a number of test users who are
really hammering into the system.  If the VM and LiveCD
come from the same setup, then feedback on one equals
feedback on the other.

--
Shaun

Just for reference, here are some details on the VM I made.

First of all, it was pretty hackish.  I did an Ubuntu server
install in the VM, and then compiled GNOME from jhbuild on
my workstation.  I gzip/tar'd my /opt/gnome2 directory and then
copied this over to the VM.  I did quite a bit of work to
make dbus and other things work with within the VM and then
installed needed dependency libraries using apt-get.  This was
a trial an error process involving running ldd on the /opt/gnome2/bin
binaries and looking for unresolved symbols.  I was able to get
most things to run this way to produce a stock GNOME VM for
Joachim to work with for documentation.

This is obviously fundamentally different than the way the LiveCD
is created, since I assume that uses packages from Dapper Drake.

We keep coming back to this issue regarding vendors version of GNOME
being significanly different than the documentation for stock GNOME. IMO, I think we need to address our doc architecture to make it easily
pluggable for vendors.  One such effort that I saw for this, was making
a framework for customizing menu locations.  I think this is a good
start.

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net>
IRC: smitten