Re: Switching keyboard layouts

--- Simos Xenitellis <simos74 gmx net> wrote:

> O/H Joachim Noreiko έγÏ?αÏ?ε:
> > Any thoughts on where a section on switch keyboard
> > layout could go in the User Guide?
> >
> > There's currently something in the Keyboard
> Indicator
> > Manual
> ('ghelp:gswitchit?gswitchit-applet-switching'),
> > but I think that's too hidden away.
> > It doesn't solely concern that applet.
> >
> > (And that's one I want to fold into the UG someday
> anyway.)
> >
> I would envision a top-level section, How to setup a
> keyboard layout.

I'm thinking this should be together with a section
that covers UI language selection: unfortunately the
two appear completely divorced in GNOME, but I imagine
in most users' minds they are linked.
'Desktop Overview' seems a natural place to put all
this, though because choosing a language involves
concepts such as logging into a session, I'm unsure.

> In practice, there is a duplication in how you bring
> up the Keyboard
> dialog box and
> we have a bit of trouble to guide the users how to
> setup the keyboard.
> The issue is that we cannot get the Keyboard
> Indicator appear on the panel
> if the user only goes to
> [System]/Preferences/Keyboard and does all the
> configuration there.
> There is the added step to start the Keyboard
> Indicator applet.

I've been wondering about that.
What prevents this from happening?
Couldn't the presence of more than one keyboard layout
automatically add an item to the notification area?

> A very common issue with setting up the keyboard in
> GNOME, is that the
> default switching shortcut
> is inconvenient to most users; it's by hitting both
> Shift keys.
> Therefore, a user may want to change to Alt-Shift.

A side-effect is that I now know what ONE of the
settings in the Layout Options tab means! :)