Re: Switching keyboard layouts

O/H Joachim Noreiko έγραψε:
Any thoughts on where a section on switch keyboard
layout could go in the User Guide?

There's currently something in the Keyboard Indicator
Manual ('ghelp:gswitchit?gswitchit-applet-switching'),
but I think that's too hidden away.
It doesn't solely concern that applet.

(And that's one I want to fold into the UG someday anyway.)
I would envision a top-level section, How to setup a keyboard layout.

In [System]/Preferences/Keyboard you setup the keyboard layouts and all other settings. You start the Keyboard Indicator applet if you want (well, most want) to have a visual of which layout is active at a time. Therefore, I think most of the material goes under [System]/Preferences/Keyboard.

In practice, there is a duplication in how you bring up the Keyboard dialog box and
we have a bit of trouble to guide the users how to setup the keyboard.
The issue is that we cannot get the Keyboard Indicator appear on the panel
if the user only goes to [System]/Preferences/Keyboard and does all the configuration there.
There is the added step to start the Keyboard Indicator applet.

A very common issue with setting up the keyboard in GNOME, is that the default switching shortcut is inconvenient to most users; it's by hitting both Shift keys. Therefore, a user may want to change to Alt-Shift. For a walk-through on how it's most convenient to setup the keyboard, have a look at
http://www.gnome.gr/writing/ (requires Flash).

There is an effort in distributions that when you install by selecting a particular language, the keyboard will be configured for English and your language. Currently, installers would make this setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which gswitchit has to pick up. It would be most appropriate for gswitchit
to have this setting done with gconftool.

Simos