Re: Keyboard shortcut prefs - can we close this bug ?

--- karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:

> Doh ! Sorry.

No problem :)

> Maybe we could just explain the shortcuts
> configurable in the Keyboard
> Shortcuts preference tool here, and have a separate
> section for the
> other general, non configurable shortcuts...

Indeed.
But we need to know where the list of these shortcuts
is. Presumably there is somewhere on the system a file
that this preftool gets the list from.

> Hmm, I'm wondering what logic a user could find to
> this : as I
> understand it, the Keyboard Shortcuts preference
> tool configures
> shortcuts monitored by Metacity - all other
> shortcuts are managed by
> individual apps whose shortcuts (or at least some of
> them) are
> configured by using the "editable menu accelerators"
> from the Menu and
> Toolbar preference tool (btw, I'm no great fan of
> this system).

Neither am I.
It allows the user to break consistency across apps.
If you change the shortcut for Copy, then it should
remain consistent across the whole desktop.

GNOME is full of these little problems that reflect a
lack of coherence. Someone obviously thought it would
be a good feature, but didn't work with what's already
there and didn't think of the consequences. And
getting this changed now will probably be impossible.
/rant.

> So I'd guess from this that perhaps, maybe, keyboard
> shortcuts should be
> documented per application.

They tend to be, yes.