Re: Wiki user guide

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 23:02 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:
>
> > Well, the way I envision it, it shouldn't be much
> > work at all (except
> > perhaps for me, at the beginning) : I thought I
> > would write a Python
> > script (oh beautiful Python !) that could pull the
> > docs from CVS to the
> > wiki.
>
> Ah!... That makes it sound a lot better! I had thought
> you meant all by hand.
>
> But... there's a Summer of Coder currently working on
> creating library.gnome.org, and he seems to be looking
> at wiki-editing of DocBook too.
>
> Is it worth your while working on python scripts that
> we might only be using for a short time? (I'm being
> optimistic, I know...)

Well, I would love to see online editing of docbook, but even without
being pessimistic, I don't think it is for this summer. There was a
summer of code project on this last year also (samara), but the thing
seemed to hit a wall at the end of the summer.

I don't see the python scripts as being much work, the fiddly bits are
already sorted in other scripts I've written...

<snip>

> > Well, this seems somewhat similar to what we had
> > already : an index that
> > writers would add the content to, except that
> > currently we don't have
> > the actual index, but a new index that represents
> > how things should be
> > after reorganisation (at least that is the theory, I
> > suppose).
>
> Yeah...
> the Desktop User Guide is such a monster of a thing
> that it hurts my head to think of having two copies of
> it on the wiki AND cvs.
> (An aside to Shaun if he reads this: Project Mallard!
> we need to dice the monster up into topic-sized
> chunks!)
>
> But it looks like it could work VERY nicely with
> something small like the games manuals.

Yes, it is somewhat testicular, I thought if we put it on just one page,
or at worst <10 pages with major sections, it shouldn't be too hard to
manage... As long as no too major changes are made.

<sneep>

Love, Karderio